"My FAVORITE QUOTE"

Always carry a Camera.. life happens all around you.

Friday, May 11, 2012

TUTORIAL: USING FOIL TAPE TO CREATE A LAYOUT

A friend recently shared her FOIL TAPE layout technique with me.  This is so amazing that I really wanted to share it with all you lovely ladies.


This FOIL TAPE can be purchased at your local Hardware store.  It is very thin tape and has a sticky backing.  It is called High Temperature Aluminum Foil Tape as well.






Here is my layout that I created using this tape:  (layout created as part of the change your scrap style challenge at Let's Scrap)




All you need is:

  • 1 x black cardstock for background
  • Chipboard Diecuts of your choice (or make your own out of scraps of chipboard)
  • 1 x roll of Foil Tape
  • Black Paint and paint brush
  • Embosser (or icecream stick if you don't have)
  • Wetwipes
  • Strong Glue (MONO TOMBO) for Diecuts and Tape for photos
  • Extra stamps (Stazon Ink to stamp with) and embellishments 



Here is how I created this fantastic layout:


STEP 1:
Place your Chipboard dietcuts on your layouts where-ever you would like them to go. Adhere them with a strong glue (I used MONO TOMBO).




STEP 2:
Unroll some Foil Tape and gently layer it in strips from the top of your layout working your way down until the entire layout is fully covered.  Wrap the left over pieces to the back of your layout, it is adhesive so it will just stick down. 




STEP 3:
Using your fingers, flatten the Foil tape gently all over first so you can see your chipboard elements underneath.  
Once these are visible, use either an embossing tool or a bone folder / ice-cream stick will work too.. and deepen the grooves of the foil around your chipboard.  NOTE: the FOIL paper is going to tear a bit. Don't worry, this is why you have black as your background.




STEP 4:
Once you have finished outlining and defining all your edges, take some black acrylic paint and squeeze a moderate amount directly onto your layout.  Using your brush, paint the entire layout with black.. into the corners and all over chipboard.


BEFORE the paint dries, take some wet wipes (a very messy part), and wipe off all the excess paint.  Try and keep paint where it defines the edges and for texture purposes.  You will know when you have wiped off enough.




STEP 5:  
Use extra stamps and Stazon Ink to stamp some more images onto your layout (optional)
Another option is to use extra chipboard images and WET emboss them with silver embossing power and then adhere to the layout.. these will give a different dimension to your layout.



STEP 6:
Place your photos and elements onto the layout where you would like them to go and you are finished.


This technique is great for cards too... 


Hope you have enjoyed it and if you do create a layout with this technique, please send me a link to your blog or layout.. would love to see.. you can email me on nevillevanwyk02@bigpond.com

Here are some more closeups of the elements used:










Hugs, Mich



5 comments:

  1. Wow! What a fantastic idea! I want to try it, I know I have some of this tape in the basement...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! What a cool effect for a layout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Thanks for your easy peasy tut Michelle...will shop for foil tape :)
    Hugs,
    Asmah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am finally getting around to trying this idea. I am scrapping my husband and I playing Rockband for the current DT challenge at Let's Scrap. Wish me luck! And thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, I finished my layout using foil tape. It turned out great! Thanks so much for the inspiration! Here is the link to it

    http://letsscrap.ning.com/photo/rockband-dt-challenge-137?context=user

    ReplyDelete